“Digital Marketing Skills”.
Keywords like “Digital Marketing” or, “Digital Marketing Skills” are one of the most searched keyword on google.
And there is a possibility that you would have reached here using the same keyword.
Are you looking for a job in the digital marketing industry?
Are you a freelancer? Looking to upskill yourself.
Are you a blogger researching for your next blog set up?
In either case, you are in the right place.
Digital Marketing industry is doing very good and if you have any one of the skills that we are mentioning in this blog, then believe me you have a fair enough chance of making a successful career in the digital marketing industry.
Before we talk about “Top 10 Digital Marketing Skills”,
Let’s talk about the term “Marketing”.
So, what do you know about this term?
A good digital marketer knows how to market things, and most of the mantras of traditional marketing work perfectly in the space of Digital marketing as well.
If you are planning to be a part of the Digital Marketing industry than you should either already know about marketing or should at least find the answers of a few questions;
- What is marketing?
- Why is it done?
- When did it start?
- What are the components of marketing?
- How did marketing evolve?
- What is digital marketing?
- What are the components of digital marketing?
- Do you have the skill set to do digital marketing?
Answers of these questions will help you understand “Whether you are someone who can make a career in the digital marketing industry or not.”.
We are living in an era of digital and internet revolution, internet revolution touched with a computer has now reached to users palm in the form of “Smartphone”.
As in January 2019, there was around 4.39 Billion active internet user and out of this 3.986 Billion active mobile internet users in the globe.
These users on a daily basis are spending around 6 hours and 42 minutes on the internet using different websites, social media portals, and video streaming sites.
As a marketer, all that you want is to find maximum prospect at one place in the same time.
Digital platforms allow you as a digital marketer to shape up a product life cycle in the market and build a brand image that they want to create.
Digital marketing has made a few things very much easy;
- Competitive analysis.
- Coining the best business communication plan
- Product promotion strategy.
- Finding and creating the right way to target customer.
- Creating best-suited customer reach platforms.
- Sales funnel creation.
- Customer engagement plan.
- Customer loyalty, retention, and referral plan.
Let’s see if my list of “Top 10 Digital Marketing Skills” helps you in any way or not.
Once you are done with reading this blog do let me know;
- How many skills you ticked for yourself.
- With which skill set would you like to upskill yourself?
- Which would be that one skill out of all these, learning which will have a great value addition on your career?
Here we go;
- Keywords Analysis: The entire game of digital marketing is played on the power of “ Right Keyword”. Let me give you an example. Mr. X is looking to buy a formal shoe, so now he goes to Google and types “Buy Formal Shoe” and presses “Enter”. Google throws a search page with all related websites which sales formal shoes. Now, Mr. X clicks on one and more websites and decides to buy from anyone them.
Now, a digital marketer who has a good hold on keyword analysis can possibly generate a better result for the company. A good/appropriate keyword can help in;
- Creating a cutting edge SEO strategy.
- Writing a perfect blog.
- Ranking in Adwords.
- Social media ads.
If you are good in keyword analysis it’s a great skill asset, if not then start improving your skill set.
For instance, just type “Digital Marketing” in the google search bar and see the result.
In o.61 secs, Google gave about 2,93,00,00,000 searches and you can see about top 3 searches.
Do not just see it but do some research and try their ranking strategy for your or website or for your client’s website.
2. SEO: SEO wins you a long term game in the space of digital marketing. With the help of SEO (Search Engine Optimization), you can optimize a website for search engines and improve its rankings. Each and every company which has a website needs an SEO executive, SEO is majorly broken into 3 stages;
- On – Page SEO
- Off – Page SEO
- Technical SEO
Why SEO is important?
Search Engine Optimisation plays a very vital role in creating a killer online strategy for a business with a digital presence, let’s have a look at a few of them;
- SEO brings you on page number 1.
- SEO generates an organic search for websites which is one of the best sources of generating web traffic for a website.
- If you do local SEO with the best practices it can build trust and good engagement.
Any prerequisites to learn SEO
There is no prerequisite to learn SEO, anyone can learn it and make a career in this area.
3. Paid Adverts (Adwords + Facebook + Linkedin)
There is a saying about paid adverts if you do it wisely it “Buys you results and not hopes”.
A research report says that as of April 2019, a total of 56.1% of the world’s population is having internet access. Out of this number on a daily basis an internet user is spending around 6 hours and 42 minutes.
What does this mean to you, if you are a company and
- Is looking to do research for idea validation.
- Is looking to do research to estimate the customer base.
- Is looking to launch a new product in the market.
- Is looking to acquire new clients quickly.
You can use paid adverts and achieve almost all of the above goals in a very cost-effective way.
A few digital platforms where paid adverts can be used impactfully is;
4. Social Media Marketing: Okay, so
- Are you using any social media?
- Do you see Ads or promotions activities on them by brands/companies?
- How frequently do you see these ads/promotions?
- Have you ever shared these ads/promotions on your social media profiles?
- Have you ever purchased anything because of ads/promotions?
- Do you know how many people are using social media?
- Do you know how much time (Average) a social media user spends on a daily basis?
- How Much Do Small/Big/Giant Businesses Spend on Advertising and Marketing on social media?
If you have answers for these questions that I have put forward than you very well know why it is one of the in-demand digital marketing skills in the industry.
5. Email marketing: Email marketing generates one of the highest ROI (Return On Investments) for the sellers/advertisers/marketers. By the end of 2019, the total count of active email id is expected to be around 5.6B.
The reason as to why email marketing is important:
- Email is silent and loved the way of communication, reaches with just beep and does wonder.
- With the help of email marketing, marketers are able to reach larger audiences.
- The delivery rate of email is highest as against feeds on any social media platforms.
- It provides a better conversion rate and higher ROIs.
- Once subscribed, the subscriber can be reached anytime with business communication.
As an email marketer, you can possibly create;
- An awesome sales funnel for a product line.
- A perfect product awareness mail.
- Impactful after sales engagement plan.
- A customer retention plan.
An email marketer needs to:
- Be someone who can create a tempting subject line for an email.
- Be someone who can customize the communication as per segments and personalize it accordingly.
- Be someone who can understand email marketing analytics and strategize the plan accordingly.
- Be someone who can create a clear “Call – To – Action”,
- Be someone who can design and curate the mail content carefully.
If you are already good at it, it’s great.
Spend some time over it and master it.
6. Lead generation: Marketers around the globe have accepted the fact that “Lead Generation” is one of the toughest challenges that they are facing in the competitive digital marketing space.
Having said that, if a marketer is clear in his thought process he/she can generate a good number of leads using digital marketing platforms.
As a digital marketer you can generate leads through;
- Email marketing
- Social media platforms
- Video stream sites
A few of the skills that help in lead generation is;
- A marketer should be good at conducting research and understanding the overall buying behavior of a prospect.
- A marketer should be good in both written and oral communication.
- A marketer should be a good copywriter – This will help him/her in creating sales or marketing communication for all possible lead generation tool.
7. Content marketing: Content marketing is becoming a king in the space of digital marketing. Quality content can win the long run game for the companies. A good content marketing strategy promises the following;
- Increased prospect reach.
- Increased sales.
- Improved ROI.
- Enhances customer loyalty
Great content plays a very vital role in the 3 most important aspects of digital marketing;
- SEO: Be it on the – page or off-page SEO, both need quality content to have a better differentiator in the crowded industry.
- Social Media Marketing: A smart content marketer knows how to communicate things effectively. There are different types of social media platforms with a target market coming with a different set of minds and having different preferences. As a marketer, you can not copy and paste one content on all platforms. It got to be different and suitable for each and every platform.
- Pay per click: Here less is more, so you got to be a very good ad copywriter to win the game. Most of the people who click on the paid ads, they click on it because of eye – catchy add line and with a call to action promotional communication that they have to offer.
Content marketing goals;
- Creating Product/brand awareness
- Product launch
- Launch of new promotional activity
- Increasing conversion
- Introduction and implementation of customer retention and loyalty plan.
- Maintain subscriber base.
8. Video marketing: Video marketing plays a very vital role in creating an instant impact in the market.
A well-planned video marketing can help a company
- Connecting to the prospects.
- Engaging prospects or customers with product explanations and other business communication.
- Help in increasing sales.
- Explanations of FAQs about the product.
- Help in retaining the customers.
9. Community management: We human being like to get connected with the like-minded people, and social media is playing a very important role in this aspect of human need. Social media portals are flooded with communities belonging to the different brands/tastes/preferences/ideologies and others.
A community manager primarily acts as a bridge between the customers and the brand. A community manager with good community management skill set can be an asset for the company.
A few important (And, required) community management skills are;
- Written communication
- Engagement skills
- Organisational skill
- Analytics acumen
- Empathy and unbiasedness
10. Ux Designing: Gone are those days when UX designing was not that important. In the present digital scenario UX design is plays a very important role in traffic movement and sales decision.
A good UX design can help in;
- Building customer trust.
- Defining the smooth flow of traffics on the website.
- Increasing customer engagement
- Manipulating purchase.